Thursday, June 24, 2010

I'm no Abe Froman

While most of you were sleeping Tuesday night, a friend and I were up practicing our charcuterie skills. I was not aware at the start of our project that it takes 3 hours to make 5 pounds of sausage. It was time well spent 5 lbs of pork shoulder was diced up into 1 inch cubes then placed in the freezer for 45 minutes. It was then ground through a small dye and placed back in the freezer. 30 minutes later the ground pork was mixed with garlic,salt, pepper, and 1 cup of red wine. Then, back in the freezer.
The toughest part was stuffing the meat into the casings. Definitely a 2 man job. I have a picture in my "DO NOT POST" album that shows what 15 feet of pig intestine looks like. You do not want to see it. Trust me.

If you ask me, that looks like some pretty good sausage. My sausage partner and I were very impressed. (He is going to hate that I called him my sausage partner.)


The sausage was twisted in alternate directions every 6 inches. This prevents the casing from unwinding when the sausages are separated. These must be cooked slowly and gently. If they cook to fast the casing will rupture and many tears will be shed.



There is no photo of the cooked product due to the fact that I blacked out while eating one. My knees buckled and I went down. They were that good. We may one day give Abe Froman a run for his money.




3 comments:

  1. It was very yummy, and I think even you'll agree worth the "garlic breath" I got!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet Nick made a good sausage partner. He's so big!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry I wasn't there.

    ReplyDelete