Monday, September 13, 2010

Sunday supper

The dutch oven was removed from its summer hibernation spot in the garage today. An aromatic base of onions, garlic, fresh thyme, and olive oil was simmering on the stove. Potatoes had been thinly sliced and layered with the aromatics. Looking into the family room I see my kids playing with some sort of cretaceous age dinosaur. Something with three horns on its head. Into the oven go the potatoes. See you soon.


While the chicken legs braise with the red wine, garlic, and anchovies, I check on the kids again. Owen now has all of the dinosaurs and Henry has many tears streaming down his face. There is a football game going on. I take just a moment to appreciate the quality of HDTV. Man it smells good in here.

The sun is out, but on a lower plane. The low sun casts a softer, redder color over everything. On the floor of the kitchen I see shadows from the branches just outside the window, dancing around in the breeze. The kids have settled their dino-dispute, the wife has poured the wine. It is time to sit down as a family and enjoy a little meat and potatoes.

1 comment:

  1. Well, you've done it again. Well written blogs, or rather blogs that catch and hold my attention have well written text and stunning photography. Both are yours. My favorite potatoes and type of chicken are featured here. Based on what I know, it's time for Iron Chef. The time is now.

    ReplyDelete